What is a migraine?
A migraine is a headache of varying intensity, often accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. Migraine is the 3rd most common disease in the world and affects more women than men. They can be very debilitating and can have a serious negative impact on your quality of life. This link will give you more information about facts and figures pertaining to migraines: http://migraineresearchfoundation.org/about-migraine/migraine-facts/
What are the conventional treatments for Migraines?
When it comes to conventional treatment, the Mayo Clinic recommends Pain relievers such as Aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.), and acetaminophen. Triptans can be prescribed for treatment. Triptans make blood vessels constrict and block pain pathways in the brain. Other medications include anti-nausea meds, opioids, and glucocorticoids. Mind you, these are the drugs that are used when you are having a migraine. What about prevention? To prevent Migraines, people are typically prescribed more drugs. These include cardiovascular drugs, antidepressants, anti-seizure drugs, Botox, and NSAIDS.
Do conventional treatments have side effects?
Yes! As do all drugs. Side effects range from damage to the liver and kidneys, to suicidal thoughts, drowsiness, impaired physical function, and dream disturbed sleep to name a few.
Does the Mayo Clinic offer any alternative treatment to drugs?
The answer is yes, they do. Acupuncture is their first choice, and for good reason. Here’s why:
- Acupuncture is extremely safe and natural. I (Garrett Krause) have been practicing acupuncture for 12 years, 8 of those for the University of Miami’s Integrative Medicine Department as clinician and teacher.
- It has been clinically shown to reduce the severity and frequency, making it great for prevention.
- By reducing inflammation and balancing cortisol levels, acupuncture can also improve mood, an added benefit for those that suffer from migraines.
- Here is a research article that explains more in depth: healthcmi.com/acupuncture-continuing-education-news/1661-acupuncture-prevents-and-clears-migraines
How does Salt Therapy help my migraines?
- Our treatment room is filled with Himalayan Salt covering the floor and backlit Himalayan salt bricks. Himalayan salt gives off negative ions. Negative ions help to relieve stress and cleanse the air, making it an ideal environment to help migraine sufferers.
- We have a special generator that crushes up 99.9% pure salt (pharmaceutical grade) into a dry microscopic aerosol that is blown into the treatment room. Salt is naturally anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antimicrobial. As you breathe it in, it helps to cleanse your lungs and sinuses of allergens and pollutants. By cleansing, reducing stress and inflammation, it can help reduce the severity of migraines.
Consistency is key:
Because acupuncture and salt therapy are natural treatments you can expect the best benefits from frequent sessions. Call us today to learn more about our affordable pricing and to make an appointment: 980-498-2895
In Good Health,
Garrett Krause, LAc (NC and FL). Owner, The Salt Pad